Monday, July 20, 2009

enJOY.

Now, I have a question for you. But first! Let me explain myself. If you let me explain, you may begin to understand my question, but if not you will fail to gain the grasp of where I want to take you.

My thoughts,
I wish I had the capacity to stay focused when reading books. It seems desirable to have a room full of bookcases with valuable and ancient books stacked upon stacks. I wish I could have rooms full of colors in olive green, turquoise, and gold. And if I could go back in time, I think I would like to visit Solomon's temple.

It seems pleasant to be by myself. I would like to listen to the album One Day I'll be on Time by The Album Leaf. I'd like to sit on a sofa with a million pillows, stretch my legs out and have a book in hand that tells of fantasy and adventure. It seems so pleasant to escape the world, escape people, escape disease, escape fear of future, escape. Though this seems pleasant, it is because it is a picture of what is pleasant. Yet it is not the substance of pleasure. I think dreams, stories, and pictures can mirage us into momentary joy, but what if this mirage is really a door in front of something more spectacular? And what if it takes a million tries to get just the right key to open the door? But what if you actually can open that door? Will you stop staring at the door, the mirage, and be willing to exhaust all of your strength just to open the door? You may think to yourself that you will miss out on the beauty if you don't keep your gaze on the door, but what if there is something greater behind that door? Because there is.



[This is me thinking on the lines of C.S. Lewis' book Surprised by Joy. I think our world can be full of joy, but it is only a "mirage" of the one true God, and in whom through Jesus Christ we can enJOY.]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh you changed your blog's name... cool
yeah! I want joy!!
I'll miss ya!

Anonymous said...

yeah its a hard door to open. then there are even more doors to open. seems like a never ending cycle.

Molly said...

Kelli, I love those thoughts, it makes me think of the pearl of great prize and posessing it after selling all you have... there is so much more beauty to be had beyond the image.

Anywho, miss you, girl! I'mslow and just realized you have this blog, I am enjoying reading it.

Kelli said...

what molly is this? i can not see your profile :P

and i love your thought about the pearl, i never thought of that. that is SO good. :)